Tamarind’s Lakeside Cooking School: a Hands-on Experience
Gourmet Magazine’s choice of Lao Cooking School
A cooking class with a difference! Join us in Tamarind’s picturesque lakeside pavilions. You’ll cook Lao food and learn about the habits and customs at the heart of Lao cuisine.
Fresh ingredients are at the heart of Lao cuisine, with some intriguing and unfamiliar flavours. We start with a visit to the major food market; explain what the foods are and what they are used for.
Then we take you to ‘Tamarind Gardens’ to cook and eat:
- Varieties of jeow: the fundamental Lao spicy dipping sauces
- Mok Pa, a popular dish of herbed fish steamed in banana leaves
- Tamarind’s speciality: lemongrass stuffed with chicken & herbs
- Laap/koy, a minced meat salad, fragrant with herbs
- Dessert course: a surprise!
- Of course you’ll learn the art to perfect sticky rice and its eating etiquette.
You’ll pound ingredients in a mortar & pestle, cook over an open fire, eat your fill.
- Vegetarian alternatives available, not just tofu!
- Recipe book
- Transport from our restaurant to the cooking school included
- Excellent photo opportunities!
Full day class: 9-3pm, 270,000 kip,
Monday to Saturday
Evening class without market tour, cook one less dish:
4pm-8.30pm, 200,000 kip, Mon-Fri